Residing with or Marrying a Registered Sex Offender

Texas law imposes upon a parent a duty to notify the other parent if the parent takes up residence with a registered sex offender.  The parent has a duty to inform the other conservator of the children if the conservator resides with for at least thirty (30) days, marries, or intends to marry a person who the conservator knows is registered as a sex offender under Chapter 62 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure or is currently charged with an offense for which on conviction the person would be required to register under that Chapter.

Written notice of this information must be provided to the other parent of the child or children as soon as practicable, but not later than the fortieth (40th) day after the date the conservator of the children begins to reside with the person, or on the tenth (10th) day after the date the marriage occurs.  The notice must include a description of the offense that is the basis of the person’s requirement to register as a sex offender or of the offense with which the person is charged.  A CONSERVATOR (PARENT) COMMITS AN OFFENSE PUNISHABLE AS A CLASS C MISDEMEANOR IF THE CONSERVATOR FAILS TO PROVIDE THIS NOTICE.

A Class C offense in Texas is the lowest level criminal offense.  With Class C offenses, the fine is limited up to $500 and there is no jail time attached.